October Newsletter

October 1st, 2018

Wow! Is it October already?  Your children are starting to get familiar with our routines and rules. Unpacking their backpacks in the morning is getting quicker – most of them remember to take their book bags out and go to their desks to doodle, read, or chat with others. Shoes and jackets are getting put on faster (We still have a few students who have tie up shoes and are having troubles) and put in the right spots in the boot room. We are working on being smooth movers and staying in a line in the hallways. Personal body space is always an area to work on. Winter weather will soon be upon us so snowsuits and boots are next. Oh, boy!

We have talked a great deal about being a “bucketfiller” by sharing, helping others, “bee”ing polite, and listening. Two sayings from our Kimochi time have been – It’s okay to be mad but it is not okay to be mean and A friendly face makes a friendly place.  

Thank you all so much for the support you are giving by checking your child’s Book Bag each day, talking with me via email, phone calls and in person, and most importantly coming in to volunteer (even if it is just for an hour).

We will be starting off October with one of my favourite authors, Peter Reynolds – Ish, The Dot, Sky Color are some of his books. During our Library time on Thursdays we have been figuring out where to find our favourite authors.

We will be beginning October with learning about 5 “SNAP” words (or quickly recognized sight words) every week. Look forward to various word books coming home with these words highlighted. We will also be focusing on first letter sounds, especially tricky ones like “n”, “g”, and “c”.

In Numeracy, we are counting and recognizing numbers 1-20 through group activities as well as mini books and puzzles.

We will be meeting together next month (Nov. 14-15th) to discuss your child and some goals for the beginning of the school year.

I will be sending home a note about your preferred time for this meeting near the end of the month.

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING DATES:

Wed. Oct 3rd – Individual Photos

Fri. Oct. 5th – Half Day for Students

Mon. Oct. 8th – Happy Thanksgiving! No School

Thurs. Oct. 11th – Fire Safety Presentation (Sparky!)

Fri. Oct.19th – Half Day for Students

Tues. Oct 30th – Picture Retakes

Wed. Oct. 31st – Halloween  – Parade and Celebration in the Afternoon.

*I will need one Fruit Plate and one Veggie Plate for our Halloween Snacks – If you would be able to volunteer one of these please write me a note or email.

Thank you, again, to all the parents and grandparents who have come in to lend a hand during the busy month of September. I greatly appreciate and welcome your support.

Regards,

Terri Williamson

Grade One Teacher

Elizabeth Rummel School

theresa.williamson@crps.ca