January Newsletter

Jan. 8th, 2018

Newsletter

Happy New Year! Welcome to 2018.

I hope you all had a lovely holiday. Thank you again for the lively Christmas cards and gifts. I had a restful holiday with my family.😁

Skiing!!

We will be downhill skiing for the next 5 Tuesdays – weather pending (looks good for this week!). Please be sure to dress your child appropriately and pack a healthy snack/lunch (we will not be getting the snack at school on these days).

Reading

For the first two weeks I will be testing students to see the progress they have made. As a class, we will be focused on summarizing text and asking questions as they read.

Writing

We will start the year with New Years Memories/Goals and a Downhill Skiing journal. By mid January we will starting on a fiction story using “ The Writing Diamond”, focusing on entertaining beginnings.

We will continue with weekly spelling tests, word work and word wall words.

Math

We are finishing with place value and have done a few money outcomes. I have sent home some practice pages for money. It surprised me how many students were unsure how how much a nickel, dime and quarter were worth. Please complete these sheets at home – no need to return. We are continuing on to a unit on Addition and Subtraction Facts. We will be starting with Double Facts, double plus one and two, and friendly facts (make ten). We will be doing word problems in relation to these facts also.

Science

Our Hearing and Sound Unit will be completed at the end of the first week. I will be sending home your child’s Science Book and Study Sheet for our Unit test on the second Thursday.

Social Studies

After Hearing and Sound is complete we will be starting our study of Peru. With this country we will be completing a “Explain Everything” project. Check out the app at https://explaineverything.com/app/ .

Class Dojo – Behaviour

In regards to organizational, listening, and respect for others and self skills I will continue to use a tally system in class and at the end of the day I will update Class Dojo rewards with the results.If your child has a negative number they have received tallies if positive they have been organized and listened well. If students have completed all assignments and have no tallies at the end of the week they have “Earned Time” on Fridays. If assignments are not complete or they have tallies they owe me then they have to complete work or write a note explaining why they owe me time and what they will do next week to change that. I also give them time to purchase things at the dojo store (every second week) at this time. Please ask your child about this system.

Report Cards/Portfolios

Report Cards will be open for you to view online at the end of the month. I will also be sharing your child’s Google Drive Portfolio with you as evidence of the outcomes on the Report Card. As we have no scheduled interviews at this time, I will expect that you go over the report card and Google Drive with your child and discuss their work. Please think about any changes to goals and strategies that you and your child would like to implement after the report results and update their Goal Setting sheet (Yes, you will have access to do so!). I will be requesting interviews for certain students and if you would like to see me for any reason please make an appointment with me for before or after school.

Important Dates to Remember (Also on the Google Calendar)

Jan.8.  – First Day back after Christmas break

Jan.9.  – First Day Downhill Skiing –  Norquay

Jan. 12 – Half Day for Students – Book Orders Due

Jan. 16 –  Downhill Skiing – Norquay

Jan. 23 –  Downhill Skiing – Norquay

Jan. 26 – Half Day for Students

Jan. 30 –  Downhill Skiing – Norquay

Feb. 6 – Last Day of Downhill Skiing – Norquay

Sincerely,

Terri Williamson