Thank you all for coming to goal-setting meetings. It was so nice to get the opportunity to talk with you all about your children. I’m thinking next time I may schedule 20min. time slots as I did get behind on the Thursday night – I apologize! If you feel you did not get to hear enough about your child’s progress please email me for another time to meet and I am more than willing to do so. All of your children now have three goals for this term (Some even have four). I will comment on these goals in the January report card. I may request a meeting time with you in January after these report cards but there are no parent-teacher interview times scheduled. If you would like a time to meet with me anytime during the year please email me to arrange so. We do have another goal-setting meeting in March for new goals to be created.
We are starting next week with our reading groups during “Read to Self” and “Read to Someone” time. Some groups will meet once a week, some will meet everyday, and some groups will meet twice a week. Those students that are working with Mrs. Shellian are not included in these groups as they have time to work with her in the afternoon. Our class focus in reading is Comprehension – understanding what we read and making sure we make connections and ask questions while reading. We are reading out loud the novel Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and hope to be able to go see the High School production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in December.
In Writing, we continue to focus on journal entries with neatness, excellent content, proper sentence structure, capitals, periods and proper spelling. We will be starting a class Word Wall this month and working a lot of bigger words and how to break them up into parts we know.
In Math, we are studying about numbers from 100 to 1000. In this unit, your child will:
- Show a 3-digit number in different ways, using base ten blocks, pictures, words and numbers.
- Compare and order 2-digit and 3-digit numbers
- Skip count by 5s, 10s, and 100s forward and backward to 1000
- Skip count by 3s, 4s and 25s forward and backward to 1000
- Estimate how many items are in a large collection by comparing it to a known quantity
Here are some activities you can do at home to support this learning:
- Use play money to model numbers and to develop understanding of trading or grouping. For example, show that $342 can be modelled as $300+$40+$2. Using play bills for $1,$10, and $100 helps to reinforce place value.
- Play a number comparison game: Remove the tens and face cards form a deck of regular playing cards. Deal 3 cards to each player. Each player uses the cards to make the greatest possible 3-digit number. The person with greater number gets a point. Repeat. The first player to get 10 points is the winner. Play the game again, this time making the least number possible.
In Social Studies, we are learning how to take jot notes and creating a travel blog post about a fictitious trip to India including factual information that we have been learning about the country. This will take us awhile to complete and we will share the final product on our Classroom Blog.
We are using the Chromebooks quite a bit in our classroom this year. Each child has an email address and password which is used to log into their computers. These email addresses are linked to their own Google account that is monitored by Canadian Rockies. It not to be used as a regular email account for the duration of grade 3. It is a place for students to work on and share Google files not to answer and receive emails at this time. They will continue to have this email address for their entire School career with Canadian Rockies but at this point we are only using it to create documents and finished products will then be shared with you. Students have been and will continue to be told sternly about the proper use of this email. It is not for messages to friends or parents or to be used to sign up for memberships, etc.. at this point. Thank you for your cooperation with this.
Important Dates to Remember (Also on the Google Calendar)
Nov 1st – Picture Retake Day
- Goal Setting Meetings in the evening
Nov. 2nd – Goal Setting Meetings in the evening
Nov. 3rd – No School For Students.
- Goal Setting Meetings in the morning
Nov. 8th – Remembrance Day Assembly
Nov. 9th and 10th – No School for Students in Lieu of Goal Setting Meetings
Nov. 14 – Book Orders Due!
Nov. 17th – Half day for Students
- Dress in one solid Colour (ie. Blue shirt and pants) Day for Grade Three
Nov. 24th – Dress in Stripes, Checks or Plaid Day for Grade Three
Up – Coming Events
Dec. 13th – Christmas Concert (afternoon dress rehearsal, evening performance)